Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Waka Flocka Flame's Flockaveli

So I have always not liked rap, I just don't like the unnecessary vulgarity and degradation of women. I also don't like the whole "I am bad-ass and such because I am a gangster," how many rappers are even actually in a Gang? Well anyway I listened the Waka Flocka's Flockaveli album recorded in 2010 I believe with many other rappers. Since I am new to this artist I may not be able to tell which in the song is Waka and which is a featured artist. 

Let's Do this shall we??
      Note theses are reactions and observations of the Tracks.
                                                                                   (Click on the link to follow along)

                                                                          


1.       Bustin at em
a.       The beginning is very aggressive with the gun loading and shooting. After the first lyrics the beat actually gets pretty nice, it definitely is something that one would dance to. I am actually rocking in my seat and nodding my head to the beat. Although the lyrics are just very repetitive and I am also not one for the vulgar language. It sounds as though Waka is talking about something similar to shooting at his haters or his enemies as though he does not need to even listen to them.
2.       Hard in Da paint
a.       I really like the doom music in the beginning reminds me of a dungeon song in a video game. Waka seems to be calling out his friends that must be in the rap industry.  I do not understand the phrase “Hard in da Paint” is that a way of saying that he has many connections. This must be a great song to be played at a concert because there are great opportunities for the audience to interact with the artist.
3.       Trained to Go
a.       I actually started dancing in my seat to the opening beats before the lyrics started. Once I started to listen the lyrics I heard a great deal of gang ideas, and as a major pacifist I do not like such language. So even though the song is very easy to dance to, I just can’t get over the phrase trained to go meaning that they are killing and stealing due to being in a gang. One part of the song there is lyrics saying that they do it to take care of their family but there has to be a better way than to be a part of cult culture that is blood in, blood out.
4.       Bang
a.       I can already guess before listening that it will be another song about guns and gang banging.  The beat leading up the lyrics were just like the last 4 songs, and the lyrics in the beginning are the same call outs again. This does seem more like how I thought rap would be, a string of words put together without much of a break. But then it went back to just repetitive single words. Again more gang violence and turf lyrics.  This song isn’t really anything special, it doesn’t even have a danceable beat.
5.       No Hands
a.       Hey I have actually heard this song before! Also I do not like the whole aggressive voice telling me to listen to the song, then calling me a bitch. Again I can hear fake gun noises in the background, although the music during the chorus allows one to sway and dance.
6.       Bricksquad
a.       The beginning is literally the same thing over and over again, the same lyrics and music. A little over half the song, there is a verse that isn’t the same three words. The back beat it’s also very generic, so there is nothing really stand out about this song.  
7.       Fuck the club up
a.       So what I got from the first sentences is that If somebody messes with him in a club he will cause a scene in the club. Then he talks about how drunk he is, now that is very attractive. This one also does not have a good beat, doesn’t really make me want to dance. Though I could see how this can pump somebody up and empower them to not take anybody’s crap. Anddddd it ends will a fake gun shot, “POW!”
8.       Homies
a.       Not the same beat as the past 7 songs, but still nothing really special. I am really starting to not like these fake gun noises in the background.
9.       Grove St. Party
a.       This one is quite danceable, just dancing in my seat at the moment. I caught a lyric about rolling up a joint, and I just wanted to take a moment to be proud I could clearly understand that one line. Rap songs don’t really change up their beats do they? I guess it’s so they can keep the rhythm going for their lyrics. This isn’t really one of those songs you listen to all the way through because it is hella repetitive.
10.   O let’s do it
a.        I do like the cell phone ringing in the beginning, it reminds me of a song I like. Andddd it went downhill when he stated singing about the drug dealing he does. Does he realize that drugs and drug dealing is illegal? Just wondering. I do like the change from the gun shots in the back to the robot like beeps! Nice change, even if it is only for certain parts.
11.   Karma
a.       More gun noises! WHY?!? Like every other song has it, so it would be nice if more than one song did not have it. For me I feel more annoyed than impressed by it constantly there. But I guess it could be one of those signature things. I do appreciate the back beat it is more pumping and upbeat than the past few songs.
12.   Live by the gun
a.       This song really makes me question if Waka flocka is really in a gang? Google is just filled with conspiracy theories and no real answers. I do like the back beat it gives a nice bounce and sway kind of thing. If I don’t listen to the lyrics I can actually like it and would have it on a playlist. Though this does make me hope Waka has a permit for that gun he keeps saying he has!
13.   For my Dawgs
a.       So I am assuming this is yet another song about him and his gang relations?  He must be a great friend to have, he keeps saying he will die for his dawgs.
14.   G check
a.       MORE GUNS SHOOTING AS THE OPENING!!! Since the beat is basically the same as the other songs it is nothing really I would like.
15.   Snake in the Grass
a.       Now there is an aggressive man made dog noises, is that to show how bad they are? This seems like a very concert song, with the “wOOF”ing is must be quite a show. Whoa there is a girl in this song! Cartier, wait why is she in a song that is saying that Waka cannot “trust a bitch” because all they want is money?She said she runs the town and is richer than him!
16.   Smoke,Drank
a.       They're smoking weed and drinking in the opening of the song, which does not get much respect from me. The opening is more calm and slower than the other songs, I kind of like it. Then the gun starts again… The tempo speeds up but it still keeps the nice more calm beat, except when Waka is talking about smoking and “dranking”.
17.       Fuck this Industry
a.       I will assume he is talking about the music industry and not Gang banging. This song actually sounds the sincerest! He talks about loving his family, and how he really appreciates all those people that supported him. One lyric that really gets me is that he is going to have it all, because he probably did not really have much so he wants to pay his mom back. Waka also talks about the devil being in him and how he wants the lord to help him. I really like this song, it seems like a tribute to all the people that helped him along the way.

Through listening to this popular rap album I have heard of gang violence, drug dealing and being a part of a brotherhood. I also became very curious about if Waka Flocka was a part of a gang, but Google only gave me conspiracy theories. I asked a man in my English 102 class who is a big fan of Waka and he said that he has Blood gang connections. Under that he is a part of the Bricksquad, a subgroup of the Bloods, and is also the title of one of his tracks. And Waka is also favored amongst young adults because he seems to live a life that could seem out of reach and bad-ass.






No comments:

Post a Comment